Located just 20 minutes southeast of downtown Savannah, Skidaway Island is home to luxury communities like The Landings, South Harbor and Modena as well as an acclaimed oceanographic institute, a popular state park and a rich history.
This 6,300-acre barrier island – which is bounded by the Wilmington River to the north, Skidaway Narrows to the west, the Vernon River to the south and Romerly Marsh to the east – was originally settled by Timucua Native Americans, who were attracted by the area’s plentiful supply of oysters, mussels and seafood. The island was home to Georgia settlers in the 18th century, freed slaves in the 19th century and bootleggers in the early 20th century.
Today, Skidaway Island boasts three private, gated communities that are ideal locations to live and play along the coast. Single-family homes on the island tend to retain their value and are in strong demand.
According to Savannah Multi-list Corporation data, Skidaway Island residential property values are on the rise, with the average home selling for $517,878 in 2018, which is up five percent over the average home sale price of $492,237 in 2017. There were 306 residential home sales on the island in 2018, marking an increase of 14 percent compared to 268 in 2017.
With more than 4,500 acres and approximately 8,500 residents, The Landings on Skidaway Island is the barrier island’s largest community, offering exceptional amenities, including two deepwater marinas, four clubhouses, six championship golf courses and 31 tennis courts. For the non-golfer, there are four swimming pools, state-of-the-art fitness facilities, a private dog park and community garden as well as activities like kayaking, cycling, fishing and boating. The Landings also has a 30-mile nature trail winding through the community, which is ideal for walking, biking and running.
Residents at The Landings enjoy an incredible quality of life at family-friendly neighborhoods like Midpoint, Deer Creek and Moon River Landing. Approximately 90 percent of the housing options at The Landings are single-family homes, with townhomes comprising the other 10 percent of the housing stock. The Landings attracts residents from all over the country and includes a lively mix of professional couples, singles, families and retirees.
Sales at The Landings are robust, with 274 homes closing in 2018, marking an increase over 217 in 2017 and 228 in 2016, according to the latest data from The Landings Company. The average property value of home and lot sales at The Landings in 2019 is $455,364, which is up from $440,360 in 2018.
Located on the southwest end of Skidaway Island, the picturesque South Harbor community has 155 estate homes separated from the rest of the barrier island by a scenic oak and pine-lined causeway. Homeowners love the remarkable privacy, stunning salt marsh and spectacular waterfront views. Plus, they can take advantage of waterfront amenities, like a deepwater marina with a private boat hoist, a community dock, a club and a swimming pool overlooking the intercoastal waterway.
For even more privacy, the Isles of South Harbor offers a second gate, making it an even more exclusive residential option. A select number of Isles of South Harbor homeowners enjoy the ultimate in coastal living as well as panoramic waterfront views.
Once a cotton and indigo plantation, working cattle farm and hunting preserve, Modena is a desirable residential neighborhood located on the north end of Skidaway Island. In 1936, owner Ralph Isham sold the property to Robert Roebling. Roebling’s great-grandfather founded the company that manufactured the braided steel cable in the Brooklyn Bridge, George Washington Bridge and Golden Gate Bridge. The Roeblings donated most of their land on Skidaway Island to the state of Georgia to establish the University of Georgia’s Skidway Institute of Oceanography.
Today, the Modena neighborhood offers 50 acres of residential space and amazing access to the marshes, wetlands and beaches surrounding Skidaway Island. With just one major road and a mile of direct water frontage, Modena has the distinction of being one of the smallest subdivisions on Skidaway Island.
Most Modena homes offer easy access to deepwater boat docks and to The Village, the commercial heart of The Landings which features a number of stores and restaurants. Community amenities like the Deer Creek Golf Course, Landings Golf Course, Marsh Observation Tower and Landings Harbor Marina are all conveniently located nearby.
Whether you’re looking for a spacious home overlooking the golf course at The Landings, a private waterfront estate at Isles of South Harbor or a deepwater haven at Modena, Skidaway Island offers a wide range of options for today’s buyers.
Staci Donegan is an associate broker at Seabolt Real Estate who provides highly professional, strategic solutions for buyers and sellers throughout the Savannah area. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 912-247-2052.